VOW is a grassroots people-powered effort. We provide opportunities for all people to get involved in the political process and to take collective action. We focus on issues that are important to residents of Westmoreland County: healthcare, clean air and water, living wages, racial justice, education, and fair government. VOW believes we should all have a voice – not just the powerful few.
VOW demands that our leaders fight for the issues that are important to us. If they don’t; we call them out and we work tirelessly to replace them with those who will.
We fought to save the Affordable Care Act, and fought for candidates who share our values on issues like healthcare, education, and move us towards our vision of a more inclusive and just Westmoreland County.
This was all critically important work, and we know our biggest challenge is yet to come. The 2020 election is the most important of our lifetime, and Western Pennsylvania will be the deciding factor in whether we elect a candidate who shares our values or not.
What we’ve done
- Worked to prevent cuts to Medicare and Medicaid
- Stood up against the repeal of the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare)
- Supported immigrants in our community and nationwide
- Advocated for environmental justice
- Fought for good paying jobs for all in Westmoreland County
- Encouraged members to get involved in local politics by running for office and attending local board and council meetings
- Fought for common sense gun reform
- Worked with Westmoreland County communities to advance racial justice